New work inspired by vintage lace






My grandmother, who lives in CapeTown, sends me the most wonderful parcels in the post. The latest one contained a vintage children's book and a few beautiful old lace collars. They are so pretty and delicate, apparently they were a status symbol - the more intricate your lace collars the more wealth you had. The lace inspired me to do some intricate line drawings which I then worked into a design for a print. I also had a flurry of pink and red paint in my studio and came up with this new work - inspired by indian wooden blocks, peonies and vintage floral patterns. These are all available in our etsy shop.

Comments

Rachael said…
Love that bold pink! Lace patterns are so pretty and inspiring...very cool!
I love the lace picture Paula
Beautiful. Your work has certainly captured the essence of delicate lace.
Hannah said…
I love these so much! Such a modern way to use lace.
Euodia Roets said…
Hi Paula,

I just came across your website and blog on Design Sponge. You are the first illustrator/artist in a VERY long time who truly inspires me. I am officially a fan.

I'm also an illustrator/graphic designer based in Cape Town. If you ever come this way again, please let's meet up.

Popular posts from this blog

Sew mama Sew giveaway

New Digital Downloads and a giveaway!

Sweet William Print Giveaway! Yipeee yay yay!