Not just any Granny Chic






Images from Russian Textiles Book

Images from my 1995 Oilily brochure


I love granny chic but not just any granny, I have a particular thing for Russian granny chic! I have always loved Russian fabrics and interiors, the tiny floral prints mixed in with folk and Catholic imagery. Painted wood, gaudy roses and faded icons. I had the amazing opportunity to travel in Russia (along time ago with my back pack) and absorb all the beautiful pattern and colour. I loved Russian dolls and Icons way before they become flavour of the month. I have collected imagery that reflects this infatuation to prove it  - I have an Oiliy brochure from 1995 (wow, now that is vintage) that was all art directed in a Russian style complete with Babushka Granny. I also have this beautiful book on Russian Textiles that I could pour over for hours, the colours, patterns and textures are just so beautiful. I am not 100% sure why I have this infatuation but I would welcome a Russian Granny into my home any day and I would ask her to bring me a floral handkerchief to tie under my chin!

Comments

Hi Paula, wow post, so happy you found and shared your love of Russian vintage. It' just gorgeous!
BELINDA KLEIN said…
Hi girls,
Thankyou for opening my eyes to RGC as I just assumed that it was a Swedish vibe that I was admiring on my market and antique jaunts.
Belinda x
Unknown said…
Russian Granny Chic is now my new favourite type of granny chic! It blows Scottish Granny Chic right of of the water.
Lovely post.
These are really beautiful - I have a Russian granny myself - and have always had a thing for tiny floral prints all over kerchiefs, especially when they're tied over ears for working in the garden.

It's a pleasure to *meet* your blog!
Catherine @ The Spring (in Sydney)
http://www.thespringblog.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Sew mama Sew giveaway

New Digital Downloads and a giveaway!

Sweet William Print Giveaway! Yipeee yay yay!