competitive op shopping


We have noticed at Sweet William that Op shopping just aint what it used to be. With vintage becoming more mainstream, it's hard to find those lovely, undiscovered charity shops, run by volunteer grannies, who like to have a chat, over their cup of tea about a crochet covered hanger. The charity shops now have almost become an 'industry' in their own right - competing with the glitzy high street chains, full of young fashionistas looking for their next cool, retro, vintage 80's dress to wear on Friday night. Ahh well, it is still better for the planet at the end of the day. It may mean we will have to travel out of town, into the country to find those genuine granny charity shops - they are still out there. Therefore I was very pleased to find this lovely dear themed tin today, at my local charity shop - I did have to fight off a couple of others who were eyeing it out but in the end it was mine.. for 4 bucks! YAY long live charity shops, we love them. xx

Comments

Jetta's Nest said…
I agree! It's just not as fun or exciting as it used to be, the prices are high and the goodies are rare!!

I'm lucky enough to have a tiny granny run charity shop in my neighbourhood. The ladies are sweet and they don't scowl at my boys going through all the toys!

Nice tin :)
essie said…
oh, my. that embroidery is stunning. i love it!
Dionne said…
Wow, I haven't heard the term "op-shopping" in years! Makes me homesick!
madeleine said…
it makes me kind of sad that op-shops are becoming all ordered and pristine and businesses, instead of treasuretroves where you have to rummage to find something brilliant. BUT that you can still find something as lovely as that embroidery perks one up a bit. and if it means more trips to the country, more walks around little towns and trying the homemade icecream in little stores, i can't complain too much.
Laydebird said…
so very true! I guess it makes it all the more fun when you do score a treasure such as your lovely deer tin makes me want to hit the op-shops now!!
well, it may be better for the planet, but it still makes me feel a bit bummed out! I miss having a good rummage, or finding something you you love and if you decide not to get it — it will still be there when you go back next weekend.

But, as the others have said, it sure makes you appreciate it when you score a real gem =)
Leah said…
I agree too, but I live in the country so I do often come across those old style op shops! I love your tin!
pepper said…
hear hear! I know in Sydney it has become a bit ridiculous, and overpriced, and competitive; long live the granny thrift store!

Popular posts from this blog

Sew mama Sew giveaway

New Digital Downloads and a giveaway!

Sweet William Print Giveaway! Yipeee yay yay!